Simplified Tai Chi 24 Movement Form
The Simplified Tai Chi 24 form is one of the most popular tai chi forms in the world. Since it contains only 24 movements, it is the perfect way to experience the health benefits of this shortened tai chi form,
no matter your current fitness level. The art of tai chi is sometimes described as "moving meditation" because it stimulates your mind, body, and spirit.
The simplified 24-posture form is traditionally learned in short, easy-to-follow sections over the course of about six months.
With this simplifies tai chi form takes approximately 6 minutes to perform. After practising the form for a few weeks, you may begin to feel stronger and more energized.
Tai chi is known for improving balance and keeping the mind sharp and a positive attitude toward ones self and life in general.
This tai chi form is excellent for beginners at any age. Those who want a low-impact whole-body exercise, and those with limited time may find Tai Chi the answer they have been looking for.
This Simplified 24-Posture Tai Chi form was compiled by the Chinese Sports Commission in 1956, in an effort to promote tai chi chuan.
The 24-Posture Tai Chi form was derived from the traditional Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan long form. Many masters worked together to simplify and standardize tai chi chuan.
Many of the more complicated and repeated movements were deleted from the long form, so it is easier for people to learn and practice.
Although this sequence has been used primarily as a health promoting exercise, it is still a sequence with martial art applications.
Because this form is based on Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan, the training guidelines and principles follow the characteristic "flavor" of the Yang Style.
The 24 step simplified Tai Chi Chuan consists of 24 representational postures from traditional Yang style Tai Chi Chuan. Below is the sequence of the routine (in English & Chinese Pronunciations);
1. Opening stance / Qi Shi
2. Part the horse mane (left & right) / Ye Ma Fen Zong
3. White crane spreads it’s wings / Bai He Liang Chi
4. Brush knee, twist steps / Lou Xi Ao Bu
5. Strum the lute / Shou Hui Pi Ba
6. Repulse the monkey (left & right) / Dao Zhuang Gong
7. Grasp the peacock’s tail (left) / Zuo Lan Que Wei
8. Grasp the peacock’s tail (right) / You Lan Que Wei
9. Single whip / Dan Bian
10. Waving hands like clouds / Yun Shou
11. Single whip / Dan Bian
12. High pat the horse / Gao Tan Ma
13. Right heel kick / You Deng Jiao
14. Double punch to the Ears / Shuang Feng Guan Er
15. Turn round and left heel kick / Zhuang Shen Zuo Deng Jiao
16. Creep down and golden cock stand on one leg (left) / Zuo Xia Shi Du Li
17. Creep down and golden cock stand on one leg (right) / You Xia Shi Du Li
18. Fair lady works the shuttle (left & right) / Zuo You Yu Nv Chuan Shuo
19. Needle at the bottom of the sea / Hai Di Zhen
20. Fan through back / Shan Tong Bi
21. Turn round block, parry and punch / Zhuang Shen Ban Lan Chui
22. Apparent close up / Ru Feng Si Bi
23. Cross hand / Shi Zi Shou
24. Close stance / Shou Shi
Below are some videos of the Tai Chi 24 Simplified Form:
Tai Chi 24 Form Yang Style Simplified: Performed by: Sifu May Chen (Back View)
Tai Chi 24 Form Yang Style Simplified: Performed by: Sifu Zou Yunjain
Tai Chi 24 Form Yang Style Simplified: Performed by: Liang Shou-Yu